Sha’baan is the eighth month of the Islaamic calendar and is followed by the month of Ramadhaan. The Nabee of Allaahﷺ used to make preparation for Ramadhaan from the time he would sight the crescent of Rajaab by asking Allaah to bestow His blessing on the month of Rajab and Sha’baan and to prolong the life up Ramadhaan. Apart from mental preparation, the Nabee of Allaahﷺ used to take some physical and spiritual preparatory measures in the month of Sha’baan by fasting most of the month. It is narrated on the authority of Ummul Mu’mineen ‘Aishaa رضی اللھ عنھاthat the Nabee of Allaah ﷺused to fast till one would say that he would never stop fasting, and he would stop fasting till one would say that he would never fast. She reported that she had never seen the Nabee of Allaah ﷺfasting for a whole month except the month of Ramadhaan, and had never seen him fasting more in any month than he did in the month of Sha’baan. (Agreed upon)
Following the Sunnah of the Nabeeﷺ one may fast throughout the month of Sha’baan even on the 15th of the month. But fasting on the 15th is not Sunnah. For this fast has not been proved by any authentic Ahaadith. However, it is advisable not to fast after the 15th of Sha’baan especially when one fears that the fasting will cause weakness and one will be exhausted before the month of Ramadhaan. For this reason, the Nabee of Allaah ﷺprohibited to fast after the 15th of Sha’baan or to fast one or two days before the month of Ramadhaan begins.
The month of Sha’baan is also signified by Lailatul Baraat or Shobe Baraat, a night follows the day of 14th Sha’baan. This is the night one can attend divine mercy and special blessings by devoting in practices that please Allaah سبحانھ و تعالیor can invite Allaah’s wrath by engaging in activities that displease Him.
BELOW IS A LIST OF PRACTICES DRAW DIVINE MERCY:
1) To engage oneself in performing Salaah. There is no specific number of Raka’h nor is any particular Surah to be recited.
2) To recite from the Glorious Qur’aan as much as one can.
3) To recite Tasbeeh and Durood Shareef.
4) To make Taubah and Istighfaar.
5) To make Du’aa for oneself and for the whole Muslim Ummah
FOLLOWING ACTIVES INVITE ALLAAH’S WRATH:
1) To lighten and decorate Masjid
2) To illuminate house
3) To perform Nafl Salaah in congregation
4) To assemble in Masjid in order to celebrate Lailatul-Baraat
5) To gather in Masjid and make Zikr and Tilaawat collectively
6) To regard cooking some special food necessary in this night
It has been reported in a number of Ahaadith that the Nabee of Allaah ﷺspent this night making Ibaadah in complete seclusion. Therefore, the way Nabee of Allaahﷺ adopted should be followed in order to get success in both lives. “Say, If you love Allaah, follow me, Allaah will love you and forgive your sins”. (Al-Qur’aan)