What to do about an abusive husband ?

Assalamoaikum Sheikh,
I have served my husband for 10 yrs, 5 yrs ago he started drinking alcohol and I have supported him every possible way to help him stay away from haraam, still he would not quit and instead has started to abuse me a lot, calling me terrible things and dirty names.Sheikh I am a chaste muslimah with all my loyalties towards my husband,he is saying that he will not respect me ever he cannot keep a job and I am forced to work and look after the children aswell.He is mistreating me and I wish to part my ways with him.I follow the hanafi fiqh and do not understand the way of Talaaq, will you please guide me, does he need to say it three times or does it have to be on three different occasions, also am i committing gunaah by not persevering to his cruelty knowing that he is cruel to our children aswell.He wishes for us not to follow deen and hates the mosque.What should I do?
باسمه تعالى
Give the Mahr back to your husband and request him to let you go. Allah Subhanahu says, “And if ye fear that they may not be able to keep the limits of Allah, in that case it is no sin for either of them if the woman ransom herself” (Suratul Baqarah2:229)
If he does not then approach the local Muslim council which consists an Aalim and file a case and follow the decision they issue.

And Allah knows best


2 thoughts on “What to do about an abusive husband ?

Add yours

  1. slmz mufti, if a husband tells his wife to fuck of from his life is the nikkah valid
    Wa alaykumus salaam
    Those words do not constitute talaaq unless intended so by the husband. So it will depend on the intention of the husband whether the marriage is valid or not.

  2. AOA,
    i have received a problem , so i am asking from you. A man believes on fiqah Ehlay Hadith while girl believes on Fiqah of Imam Abu hanifa.

    husband gave talaq 2 years ago, he said talaq once.
    now the girl is at her parent’s house.

    1. is talaq happend?
    2. have they still chance to start their marital life again?
    3. what will be the condition if they again want to start their marital life again?

    wa alaykumus salaam
    If one talaaq is given and iddat has passed thenmarriage is broken. If the spouses wishes to remarry then they should make a new nikaah with new mehr.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: